Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Just the Facts Ma'am: Cancer Update 8/20/14

I’m writing this waiting to go into surgery to put a port in my chest, so this is just a quick update...

STAGING: My doctor has not officially staged the cancer yet, but we did receive some good news this week.  Friday’s PET/CT scan didn’t show cancer anywhere else in my body. Woohoo!  That means it’s confined to my left breast and the lymph nodes near my breast and hasn’t metastasized.  Such a relief.

TREATMENT: I’m getting a port today and I’m scheduled to start chemotherapy on August 26, ironically the same day that my little niece is due to be born.  It’s nice to have something wonderful to look forward to in the midst of all of this!  As far as my ongoing chemo schedule, I won’t know until the screening is complete for the research trial.  It will either be once per week or once every three weeks, likely on Thursday afternoons.


HOW I’M DEALING: This whole cancer thing is pretty stressful, to be sure.  However, I’ve been getting lots of love and support and that helps tremendously.  I also decided to get a tattoo: my first one (other than the small friendship dot on my hand from my high school days). It’s a big, beautiful Dungeoness crab who sits on the back of my neck, poised to attack the stupid cancer cells who are infiltrating my otherwise healthy body.  The crab means many things – the Latin for crab is “cancer” so it makes me feel like I’m fighting fire with fire.  I specifically chose a female crab because when I’ve pulled them from traps, the females are vicious.  They are defenders of their species, and they won’t back down for anything.  They also hold a special meaning for me and my family, thanks to my wonderful in-laws.  So, below is a poem I wrote a couple of years ago and a photo of my new tattoo.  I'm ready to win this fight!!!


Bounty

The world is still, quiet
And we are gently rocking
Above and around it is blue: mountains and sky
            And white: snowcaps and jet streams
We are far from shore and farther from the city
Waters of jade and emerald curl around our boat
            Dark, opaque, lifeless
                        But that is a deception.
Wedged between water and sky, we could believe
            We are the only creatures enjoying the pleasures of a sunny day.
Yet even as the motor roars to life
            Even as we weave rainbows in our wake
We are conscious that the salt we breathe and collect on our faces
            Is only borrowed.
Below us are whole civilizations
            Darting, swimming
                        Scampering across rocks
                                    Sliding across sand
            Speckled sanddabs, quillback rockfish
                        Harbor seals, urchins
                                    Limpets, mussels, seaperch and sharks.
We know this because as we lift the baskets from the seafloor
To reveal Dungies in our traps
            Evidence of the other world clings to our ropes and pots:
                        Magenta jellyfish tentacles
                        Chartreuse eelgrass and kelp
                        Sunflower seastars of tangerine and plum.
So much life hauled to our boat
Like the Salish who began this sea harvest long ago
Back to our ancestors
            On the sundrenched shores of the Mediterranean
            On the frigid waters of the North Sea
Pull by pull
            The wet rope coils at our feet
            Until we bring the disoriented creatures to the surface
                        Measure their size
                        Wrestle them as they claw
                        Determine who is worthy of coming home.
I see their tiny eyes watching us
            We are not new foe
            We have met over miles
                        Over centuries
                                    Over generations
Later, we will gorge on tangled berries
            We will light a fire
                        We will drink wine
                                    We will watch the stars above the lake
            Our bellies full
            Our hearts warm
                        And our limbs ready for sleep.
As I look to the distant shore while my son sleeps safely in his nonna’s arms
I know
            This food
                        This family
                                    This love
                                                Will sustain us long after
                                                            Our hard shells are thrown spinning
                                                                                                            Back to sea.
Joy Johnston
July 9, 2012

1 comment: