Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Tale of Big Mountain and Titsy

Let me introduce you to my two bosom buddies.  Big Mountain is a hefty, triple D gal.  Very productive and formerly perky, age, nursing and gravity and have weakened her integrity.  We’re still good friends, but she can be a bit of burden.  Titsy, on the other hand, is pure trouble.  A more modestly-sized, D girl, she caused me problems as a teenager and more recently was pretty lazy about feeding my two kids.  It is Titsy, my left breast, who has cancer and even though she’s a handful, I’ll miss her.

As a short, curvy girl, my generous boobs and long blonde hair have always been a source of pride.  Some women are born with lovely long legs, lithe and delicate arms, high cheekbones, or gorgeous skin.  For me, I have always been grateful that despite my short build, at least I was buxom and had pretty hair.  The irony of cancer is that I’ll lose both my hair and my bustiness.

Two common comments that I hear when talking to my friends and family about my recent diagnosis is “At least your hair will grow back” and “You can always have reconstruction.”  These comments come from a good and kind place.  They want to see hope in a scary situation and want to impart that hope to me.  I appreciate their love, support and concern.  However, in my stressed and probably overly sensitive state right now, it’s hard not to hear it as slightly dismissive of what I’m going through.  Yes, hair will grow back and reconstruction is an option.  But it’s not that simple.

Take my hair, for example.  Except for infancy and the two times in my life that I’ve cut my hair (and immediately regretted it), I’ve had long hair my whole life.  My sister and I both grew up with hair so long we could sit on it as little girls.  My mom lovingly cared for it, putting it in cute ponytails and braid loops and on special occasions, she would put it up in curlers overnight so we would wake up with cascades of blonde curls.  Much later, in my early thirties, I experimented with dying my hair dark to look more like a “real” belly dancer, whatever that means. But I went back to blonde.  I’m mostly Swedish, and somehow blonde just suits me.  Keeping it long makes me feel extra pretty when I fix it up for dates with my husband, I love the way it moves when I dance, and I especially love the way my daughter curls her fat baby fingers into my hair and nuzzles into my neck when she needs comforting.. I’m dreading losing my hair and being left with a bare, lumpy skull.  My hair will grow back, but my hair is fine and grows slowly. At my typical rate of growth of ¼ inch a month, it will take 6 years until it will be back to the length it is now.

Then, there’s my rack.  It’s true that reconstruction is an option, but it will be complicated by radiation treatment and the fact that I’m losing Titsy, not Big Mountain.  Because of radiation, it will not be an option to have an artificial implant such as saline or silicone.  Failure rates are really high.  So, the only option is to reconstruct my left breast with my own flesh.  This also sounds deceptively fabulous: breast augmentation AND a tummy tuck! Amazing!  However, the surgery is typically 10-12 hours and could be complicated by the fact that I had a C-section with my first child.  I’ll most certainly have to take Big Mountain down a few notches, and it doesn’t sound like she can be a “donor” to rebuilding Titsy.  In short, reconstruction is a long and not very fun road, and that’s after 20 weeks of chemo, a modified radical mastectomy, six weeks of radiation, and a minimum of 6 months of recovery before any reconstruction can start.


I would say that I will forgive those who make the comments about hair growing back and reconstruction, but there is nothing to forgive.  I know it comes from a good place in their hearts and that they mean no harm. However, I hope they will forgive me if I have my own little pity party to mourn the loss of my hair and my old pal Titsy.  Then, when the pity party is over, I’ll move on and simply be grateful to be alive.

In my younger, pre-mom years, circa 2002 or 2003.

No comments:

Post a Comment