Monday, March 2, 2015

The Surgery Report

This is a quick post just to let everyone know that surgery went great and I’m resting and recovering well.  The best news is that the pathology report showed no living cancer cells in the tissues that were taken from my body.  That means that my body had a “total response” to chemo: the chemicals carefully chosen by my doctor annihilated the evil cancer cells and didn’t leave a single one standing.  That’s a huge weight off my chest.  (Gotta love mastectomy puns!)

Thank you for all of the kind messages and gifts!  I’m up and around this week and hoping to get caught up on email over the next few days.  I’m so grateful to my parents and my in-laws for helping out with the kids since I'm not supposed to lift over 10 lbs and both kids are well over that mark. My amazing husband has done the brunt of housework without complaint and has also made me feel beautiful despite the fact that I'm bald and boobless. Finally, a big thanks to my spectacular friend, Penny, who not only helped with the kids but also fed us better than we could have imagined. Here is a sampling of the foods she cooked for us while I convalesced last week:

Dinner 1
Meatballs delicately cooked sous vide
Pasta with spinach-almond pesto
Butter lettuce salad with green herb dressing

Dinner 2
Barley with red wine and mushrooms
Lamb chops with carmelized garlic sauce
Sautéed baby spinach

Dessert
Mango-lime shortcake with Greek yogurt, mango honey and pistachios

Woe is me. I have been suffering ever so. 

A few of the ingredients were left over from a "Modernist" dinner that Penny and some friends and I were cooking the night before my surgery.  Since I had to stop eating after a certain time, I was very grateful to enjoy the beautiful flavors post-surgery, and I am grateful to Penny for doing so much cooking.  I’m fairly certain that delicious food helps a person recover faster.

2 comments:

  1. I remember seeing my grandmother's smooth pink skin after her mastectomy had healed. (her left side, over her heart). It was clean and reminded me of a baby's skin. I expected to be turned off, but I was so relieved that it looked okay, that it looked...healed. As her granddaughter on the cusp of puberty, I was glad to see it demystified and that she was having a new beginning. It is still the strongest memory I have of her battle with breast cancer. I'm glad I saw it because I knew that as evil as cancer was in my mind, it had been cleaned out of her body and I could see the reality of it. She was a survivor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Sweet Nora...

    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/seattletimes/obituary.aspx?pid=175687202

    ReplyDelete